Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Nah, it's a Zen thing

Meet Zen. He totally knows he's
a hottie and he won't let you forget it. 
 
So, I've totally found my otome crush (ok, there's a few...let's be honest here, it's just me reading this anyway) in Mystic Messenger by Cheritz. I thought I'd try this app as all the reviews kept saying it was "so different!" which usually just means...well, not much. But in this case, yeah, it is. The structure is completely unlike any of the other otome apps/games I've tried, the voice acting is great, and the more the game unfolds, the more intriguing it gets.

A lot of other ones interest me for a an episode or two and then bog down in repetition or bad dialogue or typos or any of a multitude of sins, but MM (so far) just keeps getting better.

The gameplay itself has timed events that you have to complete within a certain window, so you find yourself checking it incessantly. It's a bit confusing when you first start out, but once you get the hang of it, it's quite addictive. That said, it doesn't actually take up that much time to play as you can hop in, complete what you need to, and drop back out. There's no grinding to get items or things you have to repeat over and over again. I'm looking at you, stupid princess lessons.

I'm still only in Day 4 so maybe I'll change my mind but so far I'm really, really liking this one. It's just very original compared to everything else I've tried. It really makes me want to take one of my books (probably Ask Me) and make it into an otome game.

In other news, still waiting to hear back from the agent on the latest revision. Hoping it's done...though then it's waiting on the editor, so, yeah. Back to Mystic Messenger while I wait...

No comments: